GOVERNMENT OF NCT OF DELHI DELHI
DISASTER MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
No. F.02/07/2020/S.I/pt.file-II/217, Dated: 03.06.2020
Whereas, the Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) is satisfied that the NCT of Delhi is threatened with the spread of COVID-19 epidemic, which has already been declared as a pandemic by the World Health Organization, and has considered it necessary to take effective measures to prevent its spread in NCT of Delhi;
And whereas, Delhi Disaster Management Authority has issued various orders/instructions from time to time to all authorities concerned to take all required measures to appropriately deal with the situation;
And whereas, there is a need to streamline the process of management of dead bodies of COVID positive / suspect persons at mortuaries of various hospitals under Government of NCT of Delhi;
Now, therefore, in exercise of powers conferred under section 22 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, the undersigned, in his capacity as Chairperson, State Executive Committee, DDMA, GNCTD, hereby issues the following directions for better management of dead bodies of COVID positive/ suspect persons at mortuaries of various hospitals in the territory of NCT of Delhi:
- In the event of death of a COVID positive/suspect person at the Hospital or if brought dead at the Hospital, the Hospital shall send the dead body to the mortuary within 2 hours.
- If family/relatives are contacting the mortuary themselves, within 12 hours of death, the Hospital shall schedule cremation/burial in consultation with the family/relatives and concerned Municipal Body within next 24 hours.
- If family/relatives are not contacting the mortuary themselves within 12 hours of death, intimation to the family/relative shall be sent through area SHO with date, time and place of cremation/burial in consultation with concerned Municipal Body to enable family/relatives to attend the funeral. The delivery of the intimation shall be ensured by the area SHO within 12 hours of receipt of message from the Hospital.
- The Hospital must fix date and time in such a way that an effective notice of at least 24 hours is available to the family/relatives.
- In case of unidentified abandoned dead bodies of COVID positive/suspect person, Delhi Police shall complete all legal formalities within 72 hours of death and shall dispose the dead body in next 24 hours as per the protocol.
- If the address of COVID positive/suspect persons is outside Delhi, Medical Director shall send a notice to Resident Commissioner of the concerned State/UT for communicating back within 48 hours. If no reply is received, it shall be cremated by the Hospital in next 24 hours.
- The responsibility of timely disposal of dead bodies of COVID positive/suspect who died at the Hospital or are brought dead at the Hospital shall be of Medical Director/Director of the Hospital. Respective Municipal Body shall make all the necessary arrangements to cremate/bury of such dead bodies as per the prescribed protocol.
- In-charge of the linked mortuary shall report to Medical Director/Director of the Hospital for disposal of Dead Bodies of COVID positive/suspect persons.
It is further directed that District Magistrates and their counterpart District Commissioners of Police in whose jurisdiction the hospital / mortuary concerned lies shall ensure the compliance of aforesaid protocol / instructions by all concerned and penal action will be taken by concerned District Magistrates under the provision of Disaster Management Act 2005 , IPC and other relevant laws against earring official (s.)
Secretary (H&FW), GNCTD shall inform the above instructions to all concerned authorities of Health & Family Welfare Department for strict compliance.
Copy for compliance to:
- Chief Secretary, Delhi
- Chairperson, New Delhi Municipal Council.
- Commissioner (South/ North/ East DMCs).\
- Secretary (Health & Family Welfare), GNCT of Delhi.
- CEO, Delhi Cantonment Board.
- All District Magistrates of GNCT of Delhi.
- All District DCPs for necessary action and to instruct area SHOs for strict compliance.
- Director, General Health Services, GNCT of Delhi.
- All MS/MDs of Hospitals of GNCT of Delhi and Government of India (through concerned District Magistrates).
- Private Hospitals through Secretary (Health & Family Welfare), GNCT of Delhi
Copy for kind information to:-
- Pr. Secretary to Hon’ble Lt. Governor, Delhi.
- Addi. Secretary to Hon’ble Chief Minister, GNCTD.
- Secretary to Hon’ble Dy. Chief Minister, GNCTD.
- Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Health, GNCTD.
- Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Revenue, GNCTD.
- Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Labour, GNCTD.
- Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Social Welfare, GNCTD.
- Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Food & Supply, GNCTD.
- Addi. Chief Secretary (Home), Delhi.
- . Commissioner, Delhi Police.
- Pr. Secretary (Revenue)-cum-Divisional Commissioner, GNCTD.
- All members of State Executive Committee, DDMA, GNCTD.
- System Analyst, O/o Divisional Commissioner, Delhi for uploading website – ddma.delhigovt.nic.in.
- Guard file.